Translate

Kaffein Online Magazine Issue 7: Kreative Kulture

Thursday 13 February 2014

The Reporter That Paid: Kendrick Lamar


 Kendrick Lamar finally made it to Johannesburg South Africa. I was amongst the first to purchase the Golden circle ticket in 2013, the last to arrive at the *press conference due to an overpriced and under skilled tuk Tuk driver who would stop at every intersection to ask for directions and speed off halfway during the understanding. So being such an overly dedicated fan of King Kendrick Lamar I decided that I would have to get as close as humanly possible to him during his performance. 
*I am greatly dissapointed at the generic questions that were thrown around there, so many months to prepare and you still asking about album covers? The price of being late.

The first stop was always going to be the beer tent and thank the heavens for the sponsor we were treated to R30 worth of cold piss in a plastic cup, with no choice I made my purchase and bumped into familiar faces from the streets as well as the corporate world…I’m talking CEO’s and Kitcheners cavalry bar regulars and that goes to show the power of the tiny giant we were all here to see.

Unfortunately I was late for Reason’s performance as I gradually smuggled myself right through the Versace clad crowd on my way to the front of the stage (pretending my “girlfriend” is waiting for me somewhere in the near distance”. I got there in time to see him perform with veteran Kabelo from the legendary kwaito group TKZee alongside Maggz. They performed a new track called lendlela which has been seeing m.a.a.d airplay on Chanel O. Reason brought on to stage the legendary Tumi from the Volume who seemed a little out of the latter as the sound went through a bit of a low while performing Keep Debiting, none the less we know what to expect of him and his team, pure talent and lyrical dexterity and that was duly delivered through historical references, complex flows, punch lines and metaphors. The set was then ended with an interactive Do it like I can shembe Gospel rendition which had everyone singing along and smiling from ear to ear. Reason’s set had a great amount of energy. He is indeed a crowd pleaser, check out his latest single Bump The CheeseUp.


During the intervals the crowd grew rapidly restless and started chanting Kendrick’s name which was a disappointing scene seeing as we are supposed to be supporting local music as well and the fact is that the  homies were bringing it!!! Anyways on to one of my favourite acts of the night Khuli Chana backed by Raiko, performed high energy crowd favourites and even brought on Da L.E.S (who wore a Compton cap?) and Magesh for Hape le hape (Pt 2), I sluggishly zoned out and remembered listening to a song called Jozi City lights from the Maru a pula album back in my college years while sharing a plate of pap and meat with a friend, realising the hardships of Joburg and BOOM! Khuli brings out KG and Towdee Mac on to the stage; 2 thirds of his former group Morafe serving us a nostalgic moment as we sang along to one of their hit singles “You ain’t heard the whole thing”.  Khuli performed Dikeetane from   Khuli Chana’s Lost In Time album, it was my first time hearing the joint but I fell for it. It has the classic playful social commentary that Motswako Music became known for, I can’t believe Towdee  is still as sick as ever, this was also made evident in his single Habashwe . Khuli brought a triple stack set with a drummer, dancers, Keyboardist, supporting acts as well as astounding lighting and energy to the stage.  Another element that stuck out was a dread locked rapper who just appeared out of nowhere and faded into a Khuli Chana's  Dikeetane  with an amaaaaaazing flow. Ladies and gentlemen this was soon shaping up to be a night of lyricism, energy and clinical execution.





After that set you could feel the anxiety creeping into the crowd, a sheet of light rain dropped, draped and cooled us down as we made small talk with the people around us, I helped some tired legs to sit down while we waited for an agonizing 45 minutes for Kendrick…look we support your music, we love your music, we even F*@k to your music but damn man 45 minutes? Cramps, thirst, unruly behaviour will arise homie…anyways I put away my pen and paper for this one, this performance was more personal than any I have attended.

see I was the first person to play Kendrick Lamar on radio in South Africa before he even had an official twitter account so I really knew his music well and have played it over and over on my phone, in the production studio, at parties and pretty much anywhere where the was a sound output…I even pretended to be him at Rocking theDaisies reciting a broken verse from the Black hippy U.O.E.N.O. I had come to see if he would really bring it or be like every other rapper who comes on stage recites a couple of verses and leaves with a “We love you South Africa, I’ve just got paid”. Kendrick Lamar is as sick live as he is recorded, you get the picture? He had a more chilling energy, I was confused whether it was sinister or humbled as he got the crowd to chant his name, I guess everyone at that level of progress, with so many followers all over the world has the right to lean back and pimp the crowd on some “what’s my name” type tip. You could tell that he was genuinely there and happy to be in South Africa and reminded us that ashy skin and nappy hair is all natural and shouldn’t really be compromised. He threw out a few of his classic tracks from Section 8.0 namely A.D.H.D, Hol’Up, Hiii Power and Ronald Reagan Era which got the crowd in a jovially rebellious mood as they threw their three fingers in the air while singing along.

He also featured some of the catchy tunes from his official debut album Good Kid M.A.A.D City namely, Money Trees, Good Kid, Swimming Pools, Recipe, Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe, Backyard freestyle even spitting Dre’s verse in the process. He brought on his little brothers to show them the magnitude of what he does so that they can learn from it at a young age as it took him 27 years to get to this point he said. This showed that Kendrick really believes in developing the youth and shaping the future. A surprise track I must admit was cartoons and cereal….AAAAAAH one of my favourites and least expected jams.
Towards the end of his show he made people take their phones out (the modern day lighter) and wave them In the air as he passionately stated that if he had to die right at that very instance, we should sing about him; Then he performed sing about me. I saw teary eyes in the crowd, niggers who looked like Mac 10 and E-40 were pushing streams back into their eye balls while maintaining their gangster lean. Other tracks that were performed were Collard Greens by School Boy Q and P&P.


 Photo by: @TsumeAlphaWolf














 










Video by: Itumeleng Modise


video by: Byron goldberg

Over all I was overwhelmed by his aura, his delivery – no gasp – no water, his stage presence and his near outer body experience when he raps, it honestly felt like he was travelling right through the crowd interacting with each individual on their own level. The down side were a few glitches from the DJ, the sound from the base bin on the left hand side of the stage and also the bland screen at the back, he could’ve put an animation or something to enhance his act. Either than that it was an emotional performance. BIG Ups to Our South African performers you were an amazing build up and we keep supporting you from oppie koppie all the way to the 6o’s and maybe Vegas?
















Video by: Itumeleng Modise



Written by: Lethabo Ngakane

Twitter: Lambisking

1 comment: