Translate

Kaffein Online Magazine Issue 7: Kreative Kulture

Monday 3 February 2014

Thanda Indaba: Wonder Meyer



1. Please give us a brief story of who you are and what you do.

I'm a 24 year old illustrator originally from the small coastal town of Jeffreys Bay, although I've been living and studying in Port Elizabeth for the past 4 years. I majored in printmaking and illustration at Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University, and now that I’ve graduated I'm all set to move to Cape Town in March to work as a freelance Illustrator. I'd love to eventually write and illustrate my own series of children’s books and exhibit internationally.



 2. Can you describe the world you escape to when putting together your artwork?

I’m inspired by the myths, folklores and fairytales we encounter as children, and I am also inspired by childhood itself. My own childhood took a pretty adventurous turn when my parents took me out of school to sail around the world. Being exposed to so many different cultures, environments and unique experiences at such a young age made the world seem like a very mysterious and magical place where just about anything could happen. I often find this sentiment echoed in the environments depicted in my illustrations- a whispered world that floats somewhere between reality and make-believe.







3. Who is this little girl who seems to be the main subject of your
 Current works?

As much as I don’t want to say it’s me, because it sounds so narcissistic... it’s probably me. My illustrations are definitely a form of self-expression. I find that many of our experiences are indescribable, because so much of what we perceive is intangible. As many myths do, my illustrations are explorations of the ambiguities and contradictions of human existence. They are a way for me to give form to the ineffable emotions and personal experiences I encounter. Because I use visual metaphors to relate these feelings and experiences, I suppose I draw young female characters as representations of myself in these personal mythologies.



Thunder In Our Hearts

 4. You seem to enjoy mixed media, what is your favourite medium to work in?

The mediums I use most are pen and watercolour. I really enjoy good old pen on paper drawing, and love getting lost in the detail of fine, clean lines, but there’s not much room for error. Watercolour and inks allow for a lot more freedom, as they require less control, so the combination of the two work well for me. I’m also attracted to the ghostly appearance of emboss, and I've recently started experimenting with painting on glass in conjunction with pen and paper illustration. I'm also really keen to play around with ceramics this year after making my first porcelain character- there is something very satisfying about seeing your character come to life in a 3-dimentional form. 

 5. Where was your first exhibition and which artwork was the first to sell?

My first exhibition was in 2009 at the EPSAC gallery (now artEC) in Port Elizabeth. I sold an etching for next to nothing but thankfully I’ve learned a thing or two since then. Nevertheless I was pretty psyched at the time!





6. Can you take us through the message behind your work titled “In the face of Adversity?

In the Face of Adversity’ illustrates a metaphorical encounter with an insurmountable problem. The subject matter deals with an intangible human experience and incorporates symbolism in order to convey meaning.  The mountains represent resilience, dominance and a refusal to yield, and the bison echoes the same immovable qualities. However, the bison’s expression is benevolent instead of threatening, which leads the viewer to question who represents adversity to whom. The work is an observation of the relationship between humans and animals and carries an environmental message that points to the threat that mankind poses for the animal kingdom.







7. Finally, how are you feeling about being part of the young guns to show case at Design indaba.?

I’m super excited! I feel so privileged to be a part of the Emerging Creatives program, and really look forward to the experience! It couldn’t have come at a better time since I am relocating to Cape Town, which has also been awarded the title of the Design Capital for 2014. It’s no secret that the art world is a tough nut to crack in terms of forging a career for yourself, but I could not have asked for a better launch pad than Design Indaba.

Feel free to check out more of her beautiful work .

Words by: Lethabo Ngakane
Follow me on twtter: @Lambisking
Instagram: @lambisking


No comments:

Post a Comment