Translate

Kaffein Online Magazine Issue 7: Kreative Kulture

Wednesday 21 November 2012

IamSeries: Russel Hlongwe




Russel Hlongwane, 25 yrs. counter culturist. I'm a son, brother, uncle, lover, spiritualist, artist, super-soul and a novice of life. Occupation is in shipping, but I am an avid arts administrator at every other moment.




I am a member of Onexus Music Support, which currently hosts Music Business Workshops at a Music Academy in Oakford. I also serve on the board of KUMISA (Kwa-Zulu Natal United Music Industry of S.A), a municipal initiative aimed at regulating the province’s music industry as a whole. In addition, I am a member of the Coolab Creative Collective, a think tank. The project closest to my heart is the Fork, Knife & Glass. I'm currently refining its ethos and experience. I'm communal living in tranquil Glenwood.

What is it about Durban that still gets you? Nothing gets me now. I’m used to this city, so I simply smile at Durban’s inertia. 

What lifestyle would you say you / your work fits into? My lifestyle fits into creative culture and individuals of heightened aesthetics. It is important to note that I’m very conscious that my lifestyle promotes sustainability. 

Your work philosophy is? Generally - Create for the sake of creating, not to be remembered through your creation. My personal philosophy - "material life is an illusion, all but an illusion". 

Do you believe in Sub-cultures? My life is built on sub culture. A better question is "would I ever believe in pop culture?" And my answer would be a loud NO! 

What is your antithesis? Carbon copy ideas and bandwagon trends. 

Define your marque of crazy? It's a question that is dual. My first response is – my marque of crazy (detestation) - participating in mundane life with questioning. The flip side of this - my marque of crazy (brilliance) - breaking ground even though ‘’they’’ don't understand your objective. 

Why do you create? I create because I was created. I depend on creation, we all create everyday (unconsciously) and due to this I’ve grown conscious of what I create. I create because I can and it’s my responsibility to create in order for the planet earth to rotate. 

Your own footprint on this planet is? The Fork, Knife & Glass – dinner club. 

What will still be worn in 100 years time? Deodorant – gosh, I hope. 

What song is currently playing in your life? Gill Scott Heron - On Coming From a Broken Home. 

What is your cool about? 

Doing me to a point where I question myself if what I'm doing is still normal? In general terms, my cool is the ‘’uncool’’. 

What do you refuse to wear? 

Retail threads. 

What skills do you have? 

I have the skill of a wordsmith (MC), the skill of charm and the skill of loving and learning.

Hare Aum



for more check out iamOrganichuman.

No comments:

Post a Comment