Translate

Kaffein Online Magazine Issue 7: Kreative Kulture

Monday 15 October 2012

STR.CRD 2012 Things Boys Do For Girls






Coming straight from the old school, or the “new” old school rather, I am always incredibly sceptical of “hip hop” events. I always go through a process of psyching myself up these days whenever I am tricked into attending such events. The process is a simple one; it involves playing loud 80s’ and 90s’ hip hop on the day before, so that it serves as a guard from the mediocrity that is called music at these events and convincing myself that the “YMCMB” (pronounced: Y-Yem-See-Yem-Bee!) kids would not bother the hobo looking hippie walking around with a pen and pad.

Equipped with my pseudo confidence that all would go as I had planned in my head, I braved the night and walked into the official first serving of STR.CRD 2012, JHB: MABONENG PRECINCT: MOAD: AREA 3. Not exactly what I expected.
Instead of the sounds of the latest whiner blaring, being played by a CDJ who has not quite mastered the art of mixing, I walked into the perfect scratch that faded into a Looptroop classic. Bliss. The cynic within me was tamed, just a little, as I walked to the beat of my jam into the section of the warehouse that housed the fashion. Again, not exactly what I expected.
A range of stalls littered the floor with gear that has become synonymous to the hip hop culture over the years. The short trot down the ramp sparked a gaiety that closely matched a feeling only a child feels when they are about to experience something new. What stood sprawled before me was insanely refreshing.

GALXBOY’s founder, Tots drew me into his space with the crazy print that was scribbled on his vest. His brand GALXBOY, founded in the backyards of Mamelodi, is rooted in what is “trending” in the world of hip hop “but with a personal touch”, he says. Themed largely around the idea of “what things boys do because of girls” he is not shy to say, that he wants to bring high-end fashion into the crowded rooms of house parties, with the boys looking fresh for the girls (mainly).
Next to the “fresh-to-def” Tots is the EISHHADE stall sporting their Magubane swag sneakers. A far cry from the black and white Adidas Supastar that Sifiso (founder) bought on lay-by, they stand their ground amongst the best, except for the few custom-made ones created upon request.
In short I was in complete awe of the guys who came through to showcase their entrepreneurial finesse. Babatunde impressed with a collection that paints a different and Afrikan coat over the idea of swag.
The fashion spread was not exactly what I expected. My entourage even coloured themselves with an item or six. The brothers are really putting some dope collections together that are not just carbon copies of the US trends. One thing though… No women were pushing this hustle… Hmmm. 

Written by: Mantis

No comments:

Post a Comment